Monday, November 17, 2014

Volumizing Hair Care Routine (Drugstore)

Hey guys happy Monday! I hope you are having a wonderful day; I currently have had a productive day. Took my boyfriend to work, balanced my mom’s nails and now working on this blogpost. What’s up with you guys?

So for the past couple months I have been obsessed with finding the perfect and affordable routine for my hair. SO with that being said I think I found it...for now anyways ha-ha. So let me tell you about my hair. It is VERY VERY damaged from bleaching and I also have a little bit of breakage. I have very fine hair that is getting finer as we speak since my hair is falling out due to my medication and it is to my collarbone when flat ironed and also my hair is naturally straight and currently getting out of a dry spell that it likes to have. Now let’s move onto the products.

So the first one is my shampoo this right here is a life saver! Before I was using crap on my hair that was also from the drugstore and I will get onto that later in the post. But this...has changed my life completely (I know sounds dramatic but it is literally so true). It is the Clairol Hair Food Volume Shampoo Infused with Kiwi Fragrance. Not only does this smell amazing and refreshing it actually gives you volume and it actually like cleans your hair! It doesn't leave any residue from itself or any products you have used prior to your washing which is great! The other cool thing I noticed about this product is that it is Silicone Free, Paraben Free as well as Mineral Oil Free. Now I had no idea why it was a good thing for this shampoo to not include these ingredients so I did some research for you guys and this is what I found out...basically there are two types of silicones and really neither of them is terrible for the hair. There is a water soluble silicone and a non-soluble silicone. The difference between them is that the water soluble can be rinsed away with just water and the non-soluble silicone can't be rinsed away with just water. Either of these silicones aren't good or bad but if you have super dry hair (like me) then they might not be right for you since silicone basically coats your hair to make it appear healthy and it creates a barrier around your hair so that oils and things can't penetrate your hair. But really it just depends on how your hair reacts to it. Now you might be thinking why is parabens a bad ingredient for my shampoo? Well first off you might be thinking aren't parabens good since they are keeping bacteria and fungus from growing in our beauty products? Well there is a huge debate on whether or not it is damaging our health. Researchers aren't quite sure yet if it is actually causing breast cancer or other things but some people can be weary and might like to just stay away from the ingredient completely and I don't blame them. Parabens have been used for over 70 years but hey maybe our bodies aren't liking that ingredient anymore? And finally why is Mineral Oil bad for your hair? Mineral Oil actually does the opposite of what it sounds like...it actually creates a barrier around the hair keeping good moisture and nutrition out.

Now I know that was a lot to take in so let’s take a breather and move onto the fun stuff. What really drew me to this product was actually the packaging and then of course the scent. Packaging is very nice and sleek and it is actually a pump instead of having to squeeze it out which is nice. Now the scent oh my god...it is delicious. It isn't overpowering and like oh your hair smells like kiwis..It smells great in the shower and then once it's dry it just smells fruity but not like a strong scent...ya get what I'm sayin'? Ha-ha.

So this product is more on the pricey side at the drugstore but what it does for me is amazing so honestly it is worth it! It retails for $9.99 and I picked mine up at Target you can purchase yours HERE. The size of this product really makes up for the price you get 17.9 FL OZ which is equivalent to 530ml. So to apply all I do is just lather it into my wet hair and then I move onto the next step which is the conditioner. Now it is not the matching hair food conditioner but I am definitely going to try it once I am done with my next product although I love this one too ha-ha.

For my conditioner I use the Palmers Coconut Oil Formula Repairing Conditioner (this also has a matching shampoo but I just opted for the conditioner at the time...but I will definitely give this shampoo a try as well.) This product retails for $4.99 and can be purchased HERE. The reason I wanted to try this product was because I have heard such great things about putting coconut oil in your hair but I could never find coconut oil at my grocery store so I decided to give this a go and I absolutely love it! This product also has some great benefits to it as well. It doesn't contain sulfates and it is also paraben free. Now I you aren't sure why sulfates are bad for your hair (because honestly I didn't know either) I did some research for us all. Sulfates are cleaning agents. Sulfates are what make the product lather up. Now why it is bad for your hair is because it dries out your hair and can also cause scalp irritation and maybe even worsen your dandruff or eczema for example and it can also clog your pores. Now I just apply this product to the ends of my hair and sometimes I will apply all over but that’s a once a week kinda thing for me. Then I just use a Conair clip and clip up my hair and wash my body and whatever else a girl has to do in the shower.


Now enough with all of that complicated talk. The scent of this product is not an overwhelming scent of coconut. I know some people aren't a huge fan of the scent but hey if it is helping your hair then why not? Also this product states that it is for fine, limp hair...now that doesn't mean you can't use it on thick coarse hair it just means that it isn't going to weigh your hair down if it is fine. Which I have found with deep conditioners that they do end up weighing down my fine hair and that is just not cool lol. I need all the volume and help I can get. Some other benefits is that it contains Vitamin E, Keratin and of course the obvious Coconut Oil. Now you might be asking yourself why these ingredients are so beneficial. Well you already know I am going to tell you I did all of the research for you so let me go on and explain. Vitamin E is great for preventing hair loss and promoting hair growth. It is also great for pre-mature greying, giving us lustrous hair and repairing our split ends. Keratin is actually a huge debate as well...sometimes it isn't good for your hair and sometimes it can be. It is kind of like the silicone I talked about earlier. If you like to use keratin on your hair then you won't mind...if you don't like keratin then maybe stay clear of this product but I don't think there is a huge amount of keratin for anyone to be concerned about. Now for the coconut oil it is just super hydrating to the hair and gives the hair good nutrition.

The size of this product is 8.5FLOZ which is equivalent to 250ml. This product also claims to repair and renew dry, damaged hair and let me tell you it has for me. I definitely recommend this product to anyone if their hair feels like straw or if you have a lot of split ends or breakage just try it!

The final product I use on my hair is the its a 10 miracle leave in product. Just something a little extra for my dry hair. I apply this all over my hair and I will just comb it through my hair. The size of this product is 2FLOZ or 59.1ml. It just smells like a salon hair care product, which in my opinion smells really good. This product retails for 11.99 and I actually picked mine up at Ulta. Then from there I will either blow dry or air dry depending on what I am in the mood to do ha-ha.


Okay guys so pretty much the result is I get bouncy, clean moisturized and volumized hair with just 3 products and it costs me $26.00 every 2 to 3 months! (Not bad if I do say so myself) I hope you guys enjoyed this post and if you have any products that work for you let me know in the comments because I always love trying out new hair products. <3 Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment