Wednesday, November 30, 2016

DIY Handprint Ornament for Pets or Kids!




 Hey guys and welcome back! Today I am going to show you all have to make your very own DIY ornament! This is something you could do with your pets or children. Plus it is super easy to achieve so lets get in to the tutorial.



 First you will need to gather your supplies. For me I was able to find these ornament kits at the Target one spot for $3.00, which came with everything that I needed. But if you are unable to get your hands on a kit like this then you will need the following:
  • 1 cup of plaster
  • 1 cup of luke warm water
  • 1 mixing bowl
  • A mold
  • A detail paintbrush
  • Paint in colors of your choice
  • 1 Ribbon
  • Pencil
  • Stir Stick
Above is everything that I used to create my ornament. For me I am going to be doing this with my kitty, Hazel.

Now take your plaster and put 3 tablespoons of your water and half a cup of the plaster and mix that together. Once that is incorporated, had the remainder of plaster and around 5-6 tablespoons of the water. You will want to mix this until you get a cake mix consistency.

Once you have mixed that then pour this into your mold. Please disregard the gold pigment I had put into my mix, it never showed through and I would've had to use a lot of the pigment to get the look I wanted.

Once it is in your mold let this sit from 3-6 minutes. Please continue to check on it because this will harden quickly. This is actually my second attempt that I am showing you, I will you show you pictures of my first attempt at the end.

Once you have let the mold sit, you will have noticed that it is still wet but it has the ability to hold its shape a little bit. This is where you will want to wrangle up your pet or kiddos. When pressing their hand or paw into the plaster, be firm and gentle and make sure to press on all of their fingers or toes as well as the back of their hands or feet. Above is the result you should get. With mine I also added her name and the year we made it. At this stage you will also want to add a hole in for your ribbon. You could also paint that on but I decided to emboss it into the plaster.

From here let this sit for 8-10 hours or just overnight should dry it enough. Once it has dried, then you can fill in the imprint with paint and decorate it more.

Depending on the paint you have used or how much you have used let it dry for 2-3 hours. Then you are ready to pop it out of the mold. Now you could've popped it out of the mold before painting it but I just wanted to make sure that the plaster was fully dried. Once you have popped it thread your ribbon and tie it in a knot, and you're done! All what's left to do is to hang it on your tree!

Above is my finished product! Please let me know if you decide to try this out and share your pictures with me by tagging me on Twitter or Instagram by using @emilyle96.


Please let me know what you would like to see on my blog next! I have another blog coming for you again on Friday so please stay tuned for that and subscribe to my feed if you would like to be notified when I post a new blog!
































No comments:

Post a Comment