Monday, May 6, 2013

How to find out if a product or foundation is silicone based!



How to find out if your foundation is silicone based or not?
Look on your ingredients list, if you didn’t know the ingredients are listed from most quantity to least quantity. So for example if you were to see ‘Water’ or ‘Aqua’ listed first that means that there is more water in it. But that doesn’t necessarily make it a water based foundation. Because if the 2nd word is something like silica, dimethicone, cyclopentasiloxane, actually all you have to do is look at the end of the word, if it ends in –cone, -siloxane, -silicate or –silicone ß that is your silicone ingredient, it is most likely a silicone based product. Now if you get to the middle of the ingredient list or below the middle and you haven’t reached a silicone ingredient then it will most likely be a water based foundation.

Why is silicone used?
                Silicone – lets your skin breathe, it also fills in any pores or fine lines you have. It’s also a lot smoother and will most likely give you an “airbrushed” or “flawless” look.

Will I break out because of silicone?
                Well, that I am not sure of. Because everyone’s skin is different. Some are sensitive, some are oily and or combination, etc. But I do know since it does fill in your pores you could experience severe to minimal breakouts. For me I have been using a silicone primer and I have dry/combo skin and I haven’t had a break out. I think that you would be more likely to break out from a product you’re using because of the talc and possibly the fragrance in cosmetics.

What brands use silicone?
                Well as I have found the majority of foundations use silicone. From high end to drugstore there is some form of silicone in almost all of them. I do have a list made up and I will be posting that as well.

But I hope this helped you for the most part. If you want to know more about this just let me know in the comments on my blog or even on twitter, instagram or my channel.

As always thank you for reading!!
Emily xoxo

Most of my info came from this post: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100814223007AAXKnPi

List will be up shortly > LIST OF FOUNDATIONS & PRIMERS

LINKS:

No comments:

Post a Comment